Welcome!

Welcome!

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Creating an Interest List on Facebook | Tech Tips from Lone Star Signers

If you are the administrator for a Page on Facebook, no doubt you have seen these frustrating statistics:
Creating an Interest List on Facebook | Tech Tips from Lone Star Signers
This is from the Lone Star Signers Facebook page, which has over 175 likes. Only 29 of those "likers" saw an article I recently shared from the Internet. A photograph uploaded directly to the page did slightly better with 75 views. My most-viewed page of the week had 174 views (hooray!) because it had two shares (thanks, Mom!).

Obviously, Facebook wants me to pay them (er..."Boost Post") so that people see the status updates on my page. And I'll admit to "boosting" a post once...I shelled out $5 to see if it made a difference in views, and the answer is not really. I am a teeny-tiny small business, more interested in building community and sharing helpful parenting/early education tips than boosting sales.

Let's be honest--it's rather disheartening when over 100 people who have liked my page don't even see the post. I'm sure most people don't even know what they are missing!

I'm confident that I've missed out on many posts from my favorite bloggers and businesses, too!

I come to you today with a helpful tech tip so that you can be sure to catch all the updates from your favorite Facebook pages. (Note, Facebook changes things all the time, so you can be sure this information was current on December 1st, 2013. If these steps no longer work, please let me know by leaving a comment below.)

How many of you know about Interest Lists? How many of you use them?
The good news is they are pretty simple to set up and even simpler to use!

Ready?
Scroll down the left hand side of Facebook.
Creating an Interest List on Facebook | Tech Tips from Lone Star Signers
Click on "Add Interests..."
Creating an Interest List on Facebook | Tech Tips from Lone Star Signers
Name your list. I made one for homeschooling/Kindergarten-related pages, and updated my "For the Kids" page. I'd also like to make one for San Antonio bloggers, as I've recently started connecting with some awesome people in our area.

If you're anything like me, you'll be surprised by how many pages you've "liked" and you'll take a ten minute detour culling out the obsolete pages.

Choose the pages that fit in your interest list and click "Next."
Choose your privacy settings and select "Done."

Your new Interest List will appear on the left hand side of your FB news feed--just scroll all the way down. If it's something you'd like to check more than once a month, I'd encourage you to click on the little blue pencil and choose "Add to Favorites." Your list will now appear at the top of your news feed in the same section as Messages and Photos.
Creating an Interest List on Facebook | Tech Tips from Lone Star Signers






Oh, and when you like a new page, you'll see the option to "Add to Interest List." That's all there is to it! Never miss a post from one of your favorite pages again!

Did you find this tip helpful? Do you know of any other FB tips? Share below!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, Patti! I don't know why I put it off so long...it's working great for keeping an eye on all my favorite pages!

      Delete

I love reading your comments!