Welcome!

Welcome!

Friday, May 9, 2014

ASL: A Nana's View | Lone Star Signers

ASL: A Nana's View
With Mother's Day right around the corner, I thought it would be fun to interview MY mom and share her thoughts about ASL with all of you!

When our older daughter was born nearly six years ago (sniff!), Adam and I were both working full-time. Since Adeline was so premature, I needed to keep my job for the salary and awesome medical benefits--but with her health being so fragile, there was no way that we could put her in daycare. We were so fortunate to have the best care provider in the world for our precious miracle--her Nana!

At 18 months old (15 months adjusted), Addie started weekly speech therapy and began learning American Sign Language to communicate. Adam, my mom, and I all began to learn right along with her!

* When we first started signing with Addie, what are some things we did (or could have done) to make it easier for you to learn? 

I was invited to attend Speech Therapy classes in your home and saw firsthand how to best work with Addie to help her learn and communicate through sign language. We also discussed some of the signs you were working on with her (as her parents) so that I knew how to work with Addie, too. As I recall, there were also videos to watch with Addie that also taught me the signs she was learning.

Even so, when Addie first signed 'cracker' to me, I knew it was a sign, but wasn't sure which one, so I had to call you at work to ask! I paid more attention to each of the signs after that, since Addie had an amazing memory and picked right up on what she was being taught!! (She was faster at it than I was!)

* What benefits have you seen with your granddaughters learning some ASL? 

The benefits of signing are amazing! Both Addie & Kate were very excited to be signing and communicating with me! They smiled big as they signed and just knew they were telling me something very important! I still love to watch Katie sign to me, even though she is so verbal too! She does both and it is a joy to watch and share her excitement! She glows when she signs!!

* What would you tell a new mom (or grandma) about signing with their baby?

I would (and do) encourage any new Mom or new Grandma to learn ASL with their little ones! I love sharing the joys of watching these sweet little ones 'talk' to me in signs and how much they love sharing their knowledge! It truly is a second language and helps with so many other educational objectives, it seems. ASL has opened the doors in their minds to learn and grow amazingly!!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We love you!! <3

4 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for the sweet post ... it is such an honor to be your Mom and Nana to your beautiful girls! Love you all!! M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for agreeing to share your thoughts!
      And you played a huge role in our awesomeness. :) Happy Mother's Day!

      Delete
  2. I think it's so awesome that your mom learned sign language with you and the rest of your family. What a beautiful story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica. Our girls have the four best grandparents!!

      Delete

I love reading your comments!