Welcome!

Welcome!

Monday, June 2, 2014

Family Hobbies: Barbershop!

When you hear the word BARBERSHOP, what do you think? Before I met my husband, I thought it was a place to get a haircut. :)

But no--there's more to it than that.


Barbershop is a style of a capella singing. And it's a HUGE subculture here in the United States--something I knew absolutely nothing about until I fell in love with a blonde-haired, blue-eyed baritone (now tenor) from the Midwest.

Family Hobbies: Barbershop!Adam has been singing in barbershop choruses and quartets since his college days, which means his relationship with The Barbershop Harmony Society will ALWAYS predate his relationship with me. A wise man once told me that "a happy wife equals a happy life" and I believe the same is true for our husbands. When my fella gets out to sing once (or twice) a week, he is much more relaxed and fun to be around. (And who doesn't want that?!)

I've found that I'm one of the few wives who doesn't sing also (yes--barbershop for women!), but I'm hopeful that our girls will grow up loving four-part harmony and will be confident enough to try it, too.

Four undeniable signs that we're a barbershop family:
* The girls are both excellent at matching pitch when Adam listens to quartet CDs in the car.
* Vacations are planned around barbershop conventions and competitions.
* I check pockets for pitch pipes before doing laundry. ;)
* Our daughter's name is Adeline. Seriously. (For you Star Wars fans, it's akin to naming your daughter Leia.)

Enjoy this beautiful rendition of "Daddy's Little Girl" (one of our favorites):


We're so excited that Adam has found a fantastic, family-centered chorus to sing with during this season of life--and we're hopeful that he'll finally get his award-winning quartet before too much longer. As the old song says, "It's great to be (married to a) barbershopper!"

What are your family's hobbies?

1 comment:

  1. My dad has enjoyed a long relationship with barbershop singing too. He loves it and we've been to many of his concerts over the years. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!