Welcome!

Welcome!

Friday, October 11, 2013

Wrap-Up: Mom's Book Club { 1st Meeting }

Yesterday, we met up with three mamas and six kiddos for our first meeting of the Lone Star Signers | Mom's Book Club! We met at Orsinger Park on Huebner Road, which was full of lovely shade and a wonderfully cool breeze. Our eight children ran off to play and we sat down at a picnic table to watch and chat.

Our first discussion centered around the book Reading Magic by Mem Fox.


Mem has written some of my favorite children's books (Where is the Green Sheep?, Time For Bed, Koala Lou) and I first read this book when my oldest daughter was just a wee little thing in the NICU five years ago.

Reading this book a second time showed me how much I've grown and changed as a mom. Now that we're homeschooling, some of my educational ideals have shifted and I found myself disagreeing with some of the points in the book (namely, the idea that parents should NEVER TEACH their children before they begin school--learning should be all fun and games, etc.) I understand her point that children shouldn't be forced to "do school" before they are ready for it--but as Veronica said, Mem's tone seemed a little polarizing.

Overall, I would definitely still recommend this book to parents--it is full of wonderful tips and research about reading aloud and it's definitely quick and easy to get through in the short bursts of time that we as parents have for reading.

Have you read the book? I'd love for you to share your thoughts in the comments below. :)
And coming next week, some of our favorite books to read aloud!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!