Welcome!

Welcome!

Friday, March 7, 2014

Signing Success Story #6 | San Antonio * Baby Signing

Signing Success Story #6 | San Antonio * Baby Signing
It's time for another signing success story! Isabella has been attending classes since May 2012. I have treasured watching her grow and mature this past year. (We love when graduates continue classes!)

I asked her mom to share a little of their story today--I am a firm believer that American Sign Language is beneficial for children of all ages! Even though she didn't respond to sign language as a baby, I admire Laura for trying signing again when Isabella was older. I can attest to their great parent-child communication now!

Two- and three-year-olds LOVE using sign language to express themselves, even after they have acquired speech! It's never too late to start.

Child’s name and age:
Isabella (3 years old)

When and why did you start signing with your child?

When Isabella was little, I thought it would be neat to teach her to sign. I thought it would help in communicating with me as she was not very vocal. I tried signs like more, milk, and please with her at first, but she didn't really pick up the signs. When I heard about Lone Star Signers, I thought we would give Play & Sign classes a shot. I felt that it would also give her the opportunity to make friends and help develop her social interaction with other children her age. When Isabella was 2 1/2, she officially started signing.

Since she has learned how to sign, her interaction with others (children her own age and adults), has greatly increased for the better. Her verbal communication skills have increased and have become more clear.

* How has signing made a difference in your family?

In our family, signing has allowed Isabella and I to learn not only together but with each other, increasing our mother-daughter bond. Communication with Isabella from before signing to now is completely different. We no longer get frustrated with each other while speaking with each other.

* What would you tell a friend interested in signing with their child?

If a friend was interested in signing with their child, I would highly recommend it saying that signing has not only given my child the opportunity to thrive in her verbal communication but also has given her the opportunity to expand her knowledge of language.

* * * * *

THANK YOU for sharing your story, Laura! 
We love having your family in class!


* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!